I got to sleep in today! Sleep is amazing and I think it's what my body needed because I feel so much better now. I got up really late, so late that it was time for Anaiah's nap! Both she and my hubby took a nap so the house was nice and quiet and I could get a hour or two of sewing in.
Spring FlowersI had cut out the pieces the night before and made the piping that I used around the neckline and armholes etc. So this afternoon it was just a matter of sewing it all together. I also made the little fabric flower today to finish it off because it seemed to need a little extra something. I love the fabric. It's been sitting in my stash for over a year now. Intended to sew it into an Easter dress for Anaiah last year but never got around to it. Had even made a little shrug to match.. oh well. I think it might still fit if I can find it.. I'm usually a sucker for border type prints and at the cost of about $2.25 a meter this dress was cheap! :) I had bought about a meter and used just over half of it. The border is printed on both sides so I probably would even be able to make a second dress for a younger little lady.. talk about a good deal on fabric! I used a little left over plain cotton to line the bodice and for leftover blue cotton for the piping and edging. So the total cost of this dress is probably around $1.75 when you include the 3 buttons and the piping cord. This is part of why I sew. I get to be creative and save money all at the same time! It's a blessing!
For those who have been wondering, this is what my pattern looks like:
This is a short bodice block that fits my daughter just right. ( right now.) I modify it to make other patterns or sometime just use it as it is like I did in today's dress. Sorry that my picture is not better but on the pattern block I wrote the date that I 'modified' it on. (modified from the last pattern block), the size as in 6" short bodice and that the center front should be folded. I've added the seam allowance that I like to use around the edge. I've cut this pattern piece out of an old cardboard piece that came in one of my hubby shirts. I often use cereal box cardboard too. When I am using this to make the back I just modify it right on the fabric I am cutting for the back. (raising the back a little if needed - button placket - zip allowances etc..) For yesterday's fishy top I used some newspaper (because it's plentiful here) and this pattern block to draft that simple a-line tunic. I probably could have gone straight to the fabric for that top but I wanted it to be one piece so I had to draft the front and sides and then place them as one piece on the fabric to get it how I wanted it to be.
I am still learning about pattern making and hopefully getting better at it slowly. You also cannot buy patterns here in India, at least as far as I know. I tend to be a fly by the seat of your pants type of seamstress so moving into a more technical - thought out way of sewing is a slow transition. :) I hope to someday be able to write patterns that other people can actually use too, but I think that will be a while still!