Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sewing for myself.

I actually did it! I made something for myself to wear! and it's a knit too!  I'm usually really intimidated by the thought of sewing knits. I've got a bad track record of sewing with them. Often I'd end up with wavy seams and very messing/sloppy finishing. I will not say this this top is flawless because it's not but for me it's a HUGE step in the right direction to getting over my fear of sewing with knits.  I broke out the double needle for the bottom hem and that really helped. 


I drafted the pattern based on a top I own from Marks & Spencers. I had to make some adjustments to the length and made a faux button placket instead of the actual button holes that had been problematic in the original top. I also added an inch to the bust so that it covers my ladies better and a few inches to the bottom. The fabric is a very thin and soft jersey knit. It was a little tricky at times because it liked to slide around on me but I kept at it and in the end I think I won. 


I HATE how I look in the pictures and sadly I didn't have a fabulous photographer to take them. (Well, he is fabulous but not at taking pictures ;) )  So bear with me. 


I'm hoping to sew a few skirts for myself this year too and possible a sundress. Are you making anything for yourself this spring/summer? 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, hats off for this finished garment. It looks great on you and like a very versatile piece of clothing, too. Mohini from Rav

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look great in the pictures. The top is fabulous. It fits you so well. What does 'knit' here mean? Is it the fabric? Is it difficult to sew with knit?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!